Friday, June 1, 2012

Thai Head-Thing

So! I figured if I am going to talk about the Thai-Foot-Thing, I might as well talk about the Thai-Head-Thing while I'm in the mood~ If you missed the feet from last post, click here!

Now that we're all caught up, I'll mention the same things apply here with my knowledge of the whole situation and reasoning. Basically, I am not 100% sure on anything said here! 8D But I'm sure I'll get somewhere close to correct.

Anyway, with the feet being the lowest part of the body, it can therefore be assumed the head is the highest part of the body. This is because the head is where the mind and spirit are located. Therefore, one must take great care and pay the highest respect to the head.

Unlike the feet, the head rules aren't really separated into public and home rules. Pretty much, they're the same no matter where you are. The one and only exception I've ever seen is Parn hitting Film on the head when she's mad at him. So I'm going to guess around friends or other informal situations, hitting is okay if you're mad enough? I'm perfectly sure that's wrong, but I just go with what I see. As for the rest of the rules:

1. NEVER touch the head of someone older than you.
2. NEVER step on a pillow or anywhere that would have the head (ie: a hat)
3. NEVER reach over someone's head, especially if they are older than you

Yeah there are only three I could come up with, but unlike the feet rules, Thais seem to be more picky with the head. Each time I've accidentally broken one of these rules, I always got told off, in the nicest way possible of course. From this sort of reaction, I am guessing it's a bit more important to respect the head than pick at the feet.

And there you have it! It feels a bit more complete now that I have both the feet and the head covered, heh.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Michaela, you certainly are getting a good cultural education! LOL. I love the respect that Thais show for each other but I would forget a lot of that.

    ReplyDelete