Friday, May 25, 2012

Thai...Foot-Thing?

Yes, folks, the title of this post is really called "Thai-Foot-Thing". You see, this concept is one I actually struggle with on a daily basis. Maybe not as much as other rules, but it's still pretty hard to understand for me. With this being said, I am therefore not perfectly clear as to what the reason for this is or what all the rules are, but after having a lively discussion with my sister, Parn, I think I got a general idea.

Let me first start off by explaining what exactly this is and how it relates to Thai culture. In Thailand, the primary religion is Buddhism. It is much like Christianity and Catholism in the USA. The country allows all its citizens to practice whatever religion they should desire, but since Buddhism is the most common, there are many traits of Thai culture that have to do with it. The Foot-Thing happens to be one of them. In Buddhism, it is thought that the head is the highest, and also holiest part of the body. The head is well respected. It is impolite to touch the head of someone older than you(although in the home, this doesn't seem to be a big deal) and monks must have their heads shaved to expose the sacred part of the body. However, while the head is endeared by Thai people, the feet are quite the opposite.

Since feet are the lowest part of the body, they get the short end of the stick. And so, I've complied a list of rules that one must take care to follow while in Thailand. Needless to say, having control over your feet is certainly a good trait to have. I've seperated the lists into two: one for what is unacceptable in the home and one for what is unacceptable just in public.

Inside the Home:

1. NEVER step directly OVER or ON food, drink, pillow, or anything else that the head touches.
2. NEVER tap at something with your foot
3. NEVER use your foot to pick up or drag something
4. NEVER use your foot to POINT OUT someone or something
5. ALWAYS apologize if you someone should accidentaly come into contact with your feet

In Public:

1. NEVER point your foot at someone, even in accident (Hence I say keep an eye on your feet)
2. NEVER cross your legs over one another while sitting in a chair, for you could accidently point your foot at someone or something
3. NEVER point your foot at a Buddha image or statue
4. When in the temple, always keep your feet under you or behind you
5. Add rules 1-5 from the House Rules

Now if one should break these rules, nothing too bad will happen. Thai people will just think you're a rude person, which may be okay with you. Let's just say it's like the equivalent of picking your nose in public. It's impolite, but no one is going to arrest you or send you to death for it. LOL

By the way, this was a post done on request, so if you want more like this, please head over to the request post and post a comment. I go through them often when I'm trying to think what to write, heh.

1 comment:

  1. I cross my legs all the time so I wouldn't make a very good Thai person. I would be insulting people left and right! LOL. That is a hard thing to remember, though, when you are used to letting your feet do what they want.

    ReplyDelete